갤러리팩토리

참여 아티스트

앤소피샌달 Annsofie Sandal

문의
갤러리팩토리 / 02 733 4883 / www.factory483.org / galleryfactory@gmail.com

관람시간
화 - 일, 오전11시 - 저녁7시

A Pregnant Moment

Gallery FACTORY (15, Jahamoon-ro 10, Jongro-gu, Seoul)

Dates:

2016.10.21 (Friday) ~ 11.21 (Sunday) 

*Artist Talk: 2016.10.21 (Friday) 6 PM

Curated by Gallery FACTORY

Participating Artist

Annsofie Sandal

Further Enquiries

Gallery FACTORY / 02 733 4883 / www.factory483.org / galleryfactory@gmail.com

Opening Hours

Tuesday-Sunday, 11am-7pm

전시 내용

A Pregnant Moment

앤소피샌달 Annsofie Sandal 

2016.10.21일(금)~11.21(일) 

작가의 글

전시에 부쳐:

이번 갤러리 팩토리에서의 개인전 <A Pregnant Moment>에서는 나는 네 개의 새로운 작업을 전시하게 되었다. 첫 번째 작품은 ‘카이로스_ Kairos’ (주: 카이로스는 그리스어로 신이 내린 기회나 시간을 의미한다. 운명적 순간이라고 할 수 있다) 로 서울의 길거리에서 찾은 여러 개의 종이 박스를 구리, 동, 은색으로 한국의 동전 색을 빌어 칠한 것이다. 두 번째 작품인 ‘구성된 크로노스_ Chronos Composed’ (주: 크로노스는 그리스 철학에서 시간을 의미하는 단어이다. 연대기를 뜻하는 영어 단어 Chronicle은 크로노스에서 유래된 것이다)는 올해 여름 뉴멕시코 산타페에서 레지던시를 하던 중 그곳에서 다양한 크기와 형태의 종이 박스를 모으고 그 위에 페인트를 칠한 후 박스들을 층층이 쌓아둔 작업이다. 산타페에서의 작업 과정을 기록한 영상도 이 작품의 일부로 함께 전시된다.

세 번째 작품은 ‘파란색의 아들 (Blue Son)’로 1. 서울에서 발견한 박스와 2. 뉴욕과 산타페에서 서울로 보낸 (색칠된) 박스들과 그것을 포장한 박스도 함께 벽에 편평히 붙이고 그 위에 파란색의 원을 칠한 작업이다. 네 번째 작품은 ‘배 상자(belly box)’로 가운에 내 키와 배의 사이즈에 딱 맞는 동그란 구멍이 뚫려있는 종이 박스를 이용한 설치 작업이다.

이 전시는 인생의 주기, 시간, 가치, 교환 등에 대해 많은 생각의 결과이다. 2년 전 국립현대미술관의 창동 레지던시 프로그램에 참여하기 위해 처음으로 한국을 오게 되면서 내 작품 활동에 있어 종이 박스를 사용하는 방식에 큰 변화가 생겨나게 되었다. 종이 박스를 해체하여 납작이 펴고 그 위에 칠하는 행위를 계속하는 동안 이 박스는 그저 풍부하고 유연한 작품의 재료가 될 뿐 아니라, 그 위에 사용된 흔적 자체가 매우 중요한 의미이자 교환 활동의 상징/기표가 되었다. 오늘날의 글로벌 경제 구조에서는 세상의 한 곳에서 다른 곳으로 물건을 담아 모으고, 그 물건을 보호하는 가장 주요한 방법이자 재료가 바로 이 종이 박스 된 것이다. 특히 한국에는 종이 박스를 수집하는 노동 활동이 재활용품이라는 이름의 화폐 가치로 환원되어 그 가치에 기대어 살아가는 노인 세대(박스 감정가)가 생겨났고 그 숫자가 계속 늘고 있다.

화폐는 (마치 종이 박스처럼) 우리의 사회를 움직이고, 매개하며 교환가치를 만들어낸다. 시쳇말로 시간은 돈이고, 돈은 곧 시간이며, 돈은 시간으로서 교환되기도 한다. 우리는 돈이라는 것이 우리가 원할 때 뭐든 할 수 있는 능력을 부여할 것이라는 믿음을 가지고 대부분의 시간을 돈을 버는데 쓰고 있다. 그럼에도 불구하고 우리의 시간의 가치는 절대불변으로 규정된 것이 아니며, 우리가 살고 있는 이 문화의 흐름과 우리의 욕망을 투사하며 끊임없이 변하고 있다.

나는 이번 전시를 계기로 두 번째로 한국을 방문하게 되었고, 이번엔 임신을 한 채로 오게 되었으며, 무엇보다 나의 생물학적인 부모님을 드디어 만날 수 있게 되었다. (주: 앤소피샌달은 한국에서 태어나 덴마크로 입양되었다) 모든 일들이 완전히 한 바퀴를 돌아 제자리에 온 것 같기도 하고, 또 동시에 모든 것들이 끊임없이 변하고 있는 것 같기도 하다. 그 어느 날과 마찬가지이고, 지금 그리고 여기, 우리는 여전히 무엇이 진짜 가치 있는 것일까에 대한 질문을 하고 있다. 이 질문은 어디서 시작되었으며 언제 끝날 것인가? 우리가 노력한다면 그 가치라는 것을 통제하거나 바꿀 수는 있는 것일까? 그렇다면 적절한 순간은 언제일까?

For my show, “A Pregnant Moment” at Gallery Factory I am showing four new works. The first “Kairos” is a set of cardboard boxes bought from the local cardboard collectors. I have painted these with metallic oil paint in the colors of the Korean coins: gold, silver, and copper. The second “Chronos Composed” is a stack of used cardboard boxes collected and painted while on an art residency in Santa Fe, New Mexico. The stack is accompanied by the video “Chronos” documenting the making of this work. The third piece “Blue Son” is a large wall hanging made from cardboard collected here as well as the boxes I used to ship my work from the US to Korea. It has been painted with a large blue circle. The fourth piece “Belly Box” is a used cardboard box with a cut out hole, which fits the height and size of my belly.

In this show I have been thinking about the cycles of life, exchange, value and time. Two years ago on my first visit to Korea, to the Changdong residency, the way I used cardboard in my work changed dramatically. While I continued to transform the cardboard through my actions, it became more important that it remained visibly used cardboard. It was no longer just an abundant and flexible material, but also an important signifier of exchange. Cardboard is the main way to collect and protect goods traveling from one place to another in this global economy. And here in Korea there has arisen a generation of people (Cardboard Connoisseurs) supporting themselves in their advancing age through the labor of collecting these boxes for their value in recycling.

Money, like cardboard, allows our societies to function, to facilitate trade and exchange. Money is a trade on time— time is money, and money is time— as the saying goes. We spend so much of our time making money with the idea that it will give us the ability to do what we want at the time we want to. Yet our time’s value is not globally standardized and is changing constantly with the abilities and desires of the current running through the culture we live in.

I have returned to Korea for my second time, this time pregnant and with the opportunity to finally meet my birth parents. Things have come full circle and yet everything continues to change. Here and now, like everyday, the questions remain, what is really valuable? When did it start and do we have control over when it will end? When is a moment opportune?

작가 소개 

앤소피샌달 Annesofie Sandal (b.1977)   www.annesofiesandal.com

앤소피샌달은 뉴욕과 코펜하겐에 살며 작품 활동을 하고있는 시각예술가이다.

대표적으로 뉴욕 루스터갤러리, 캐나다 위니펙 에이스아트 갤러리, 코펜하겐의 포맷아트스페이스 등 많은 그룹전과 개인전을 진행해왔다. 미국 메인주의 Skowhegan, 뉴욕의 ISCP, 서울의 창동 레지던시에 참여했고, 올해 여름에는 뉴 멕시코 산타페에서 레지던시에 참여하였다. 그리고 국제 신진작가 전시지원 프로그램으로 선정되어 여러 그룹전을 진행했다. 그녀는 2007년부터 총 8회의 프로젝트를 선보인 Island Life라는 아트 그룹의 설립자이자 멤버이다. 그녀는 코펜한겐 소재 왕립예술대학에서 순수미술을 전공하고 석사학위를 취득했다.

Annesofie Sandal (b.1977 in Seoul) is a visual artist living in Copenhagen and New York. Her work has been displayed at numerous group exhibitions and her solo shows count Rooster Gallery in New York, Ace Art Gallery in Winnipeg and Format Art Space in Copenhagen.

Past residencies include Skowhegan in Maine, ISCP in New York, International Fellow resident at Museum of Modern and Contemporary Art in Seoul and this summer she was The Harpo Foundations Emerging Artist Fellow at Santa Fe Art Institute.

Beside her individual praxis she organizes group shows with an international roster of emerging artists. She is also founder and member of the art group Island Life with whom she has had eight shows since 2007. She holds a MFA from The Royal Danish Academy of Visual Arts in Copenhagen.

주요 작품 이미지

3.jpg<Blue son>, cardboard and arcrylic paint, 210x310 cm, 2016

1.jpg

<Chronos Composed> Cardboard and acrylic paint, 117x74x103 cm, 2016

2.jpg

<Kairos>, cardboard and oil paint, 2016

- 부대 프로그램